If you are struggling to conceive, you have probably tried everything to find the solution that will help you achieve your goal of starting a family. Even if everything else is going well in your life, an inability to conceive can cause a lot of stress, disappointment and unhappiness.
If you are looking for new ways to improve your fertility, you may not have tried aromatherapy yet. Essential oils can be a very effective way to improve your reproductive health and the right oils can make you more likely to conceive.
Essential oils have been used for many centuries by people all over the world for curing a great number of ailments. However, it wasn’t until the 1930s that they started to become popular in the modern world. Since then, aromatherapy has become a very popular way of treating illnesses and issues.
How Does Aromatherapy Help Fertility?
To understand how aromatherapy works, it is important to think about how the membranes in our nose as well as our skin allow elements in the outside world to access our internal bodies. For example, if you inhale second hand cigarette smoke or thick black smoke from a fire, you will feel sick or cough.This is because the particles in the air have entered inside your body.
The great thing about our nose and our skin is that we can use essential oils and the benefits of these oils will be absorbed into our bodies. Essential oils affect the hypothalamus1, which is referred to as the “master gland.” This gland is responsible for releasing hormones that will affect everything from energy levels to sex drive. It also controls the production of sex hormones, growth hormones and neurotransmitters such as serotonin.
Because of the unique molecular structure of essential oils, they can directly stimulate the hypothalamus. When you inhale the essential oils, they will stimulate the production of hormones from the hypothalamus. This will increase the production of thyroid hormones and growth hormones and will also have a positive effect on mood and emotional health.
If you have been trying to conceive a baby but have been unsuccessful, it’s worth giving essential oils a try. There are many different types that have a positive effect on fertility and their effects can be significant, so why not see what happens?
How to Use Essential Oils
You can use one oil, or make a blend of several to combine their effects. You can place 6-8 drops in your bath, or make a massage oil with one drop of essential oil to 1ml of carrier oil. A carrier oil is an oil that you use to dilute the essential oil – it can be olive oil, sesame oil, hazelnut oil, sunflower oil or even sweet almond oil.
If you create the massage oil, you can use it by rubbing it all over the abdomen, hips and lower back. The lower back area is important, because there are nerves here that reach the uterus and ovaries. You can also create a hot compress with essential oils. Add the drops of essential oil to two ounces of hot water, soak a cotton cloth in the water mixture and place the hot compress on the abdomen. You can also use essential oils as you administer self fertility massages.
You can also use oils in an essential oil burner, which will release the scent into the air so that you can inhale it and absorb the effects that way. Either way you use, the aromatherapy essential oils will have a positive effect on your overall health and well being.
Oils That Can Improve Fertility
There are several types of essential oils that may have the ability to boost your fertility. Here are a few that you can try:
- Calendula – This oil can be applied topically with a carrier oil such as almond oil. It has anti-inflammatory properties so it can help to regulate your menstrual cycle and reduce inflammation2.
- Sweet Marjoram – This oil is very beneficial for menstrual cramps and helps to reduce pain.
- Sweet Fennel – This herb helps to regulate the menstrual cycle and to reduce hormone fluctuations3.
- Geranium – This wonderful essential oil is great for balancing hormones and regulating your cycle4. Also, it will help you to calm down and de-stress. This oil is also recommended for women who suffer from endometriosis.
- Clary-Sage – This essential oil works by stimulating the pituitary gland which produces estrogen. Also, it is considered to be a uterine tonic and it works well together with geranium. It also has a reputation for being an aphrodisiac, so a little bit of clary-sage in an oil burner in your bedroom might set the mood for a night of baby-making.
- Orange Essential Oil – This oil is great for the emotions and it will uplift your mood. This is very helpful when you are struggling with infertility and by staying calm and happy and avoiding stress you can increase your chances of conceiving.
- Rose Otto – This is one of the most expensive essential oils on the market, but it’s very good for you and only a few drops go a very long way. It is helpful in treating PMS and regulating the menstrual cycle and it has also proved to be helpful for women who have trouble conceiving. This is because the oil relaxes the uterus, is an aphrodisiac and is also an anti-depressant. (Do not use this oil during pregnancy, or after ovulation if you are trying to conceive.)
- Jasmine – This oil is expensive, but it is very beneficial. It helps with overall female reproductive health and it also helps to strengthen the male sex organs.
- Myrrh – This oil is said to clear obstructions in the womb, and it also contains phytoestrogens5.
- Ylang Ylang – Another aphrodisiac, ylang ylang will also energise the reproductive organs and help to achieve hormonal balance.
These are just a few of the essential oils that are beneficial for fertility and female reproductive health, so why not give them a try? Not only do they smell wonderful and calming, they just might increase your chances of conceiving a baby.
- Suzanne Bovenizer. The Limbic System. http://www.suzannebovenizer.com/aromatherapy-essential-oils/the-limbic-system (Accessed April 2016) ↩
- Natural News. Calendula can reduce inflammation, heal the skin and help protect the heart. http://www.naturalnews.com/043669_calendula_inflammation_chemotherapy.html (Accessed April 2016) ↩
- Natural Fertility Info. Aromatherapy for Fertility. http://natural-fertility-info.com/aromatherapy-fertility.html (Accessed April 2016) ↩
- Mary Vance NC. How To use Essential Oils for Healthy Female Hormone Balance. http://www.maryvancenc.com/use-essential-oils-healthy-female-hormone-balance/ (Accessed April 2016) ↩
- Holistic Health Herbalist. Essential Oils for Fertility. http://www.holistichealthherbalist.com/essential-oils-fertility/ (Accessed April 2016) ↩