You’ve heard of a honeymoon, but what about a conceptionmoon? According to a survey by BabyCenter, 13% of the 2,800 women surveyed were planning on taking a relaxing vacation with their partner with the main goal of trying to conceive. The interesting part is that it works. Out of those who take a trip with baby-making in mind, nearly 50% got pregnant1.
So why does the conceptionmoon help? Many believe that taking a vacation helps to reduce stress. Being stressed out is one of the main reasons why women struggle to conceive. Stress has a negative effect on the body and too much of it can even result in the ovaries shutting down and failing to ovulate. Also, when you are stressed out you and your partner are less likely to feel in the mood for sex, which will obviously not help your chances of conceiving.
According to research from a 2004 report published in the journal “Fertility and Sterility,” women who regularly worry about things like work or money problems are much less likely to conceive than those who don’t2. Stress affects the hypothalamus, which is the part of the brain that regulates your hormones. In males the hypothalamus regulates testosterone levels and in females it controls the hormones that are required to release eggs.
The couples that are most likely to take conceptionmoons are 30 somethings who have been trying to get pregnant for around 8 months. They are usually busy and they have a lot of demands and stresses in their lives. They might have demanding jobs or other kids. The trip gives them a chance to escape from the stresses of daily life and spend some quality time together. When you are alone in a private hotel room with no need to go to work, do chores or worry about responsibilities, you have plenty of time to have lots of sex!
Even if the conceptionmoon doesn’t result in a positive pregnancy test, it’s still very beneficial to take some time out with your partner. The quality time you spend on a trip away together will help you to relax, will strengthen your bond and will be very helpful for your relationship.
Tips for Planning Your Conceptionmoon
If you think that a baby-making getaway might be the best idea for you and your partner, here are some tips that you should keep in mind:
- Track your menstrual cycle and pay attention to your cervical mucus so that you will know when you are ovulating. Then, you can predict your ovulation week and plan ahead so that you take your holiday during that time.
- There are ovulating predicting devices that you can use which will measure your body’s temperature and will let you know what time of the month is best for planning your conceptionmoon.
- You don’t have to go somewhere expensive. It just needs to be somewhere that is relaxing and peaceful. You could even consider renting a cottage or bungalow in the countryside close to your home.
- Leave all of your stresses behind. Don’t bring your laptop because you plan on getting work done while on the road – save it for when you get back and focus completely on your partner.
- Make sure that you get plenty of sleep during your vacation. When you are well rested your body will be healthier and better able to conceive.
- Don’t book too many sightseeing activities – the most important activity will be going on in your hotel bed.
- Make sure that everything at home is taken care of so that you won’t be stressed and worried on your vacation. If you have other kids, make sure they are staying with a trusted relative. Arrange for someone to take care of your pets, pick up your mail and check on your house.
- Make sure that the hotel you choose offers enough comfort and privacy that it will not get inthe way of your conception efforts. For example, a hotel with paper thin walls or a squeaky bed might make you feel self-conscious about having sex while you are there.
These are just a few tips that you can keep in mind when it comes to booking your conceptionmoon getaway.
The idea of a conceptionmoon is catching on and there are many luxury resorts and hotels that are offering special packages around this theme. Many of these special packages combine traditional aspects of romantic getaways with aphrodisiacs and fertility boosting products.
For example, the Westin Grand Bahama Island has the special package known as the Procreation Vacation, which features moss elixir and locally made pumpkin soup which are traditional fertility aids from the island’s natives. The “Birds and the Bees” package at the Five Gables Inn and Spa in Maryland includes a certificate for wine and oysters at a local restaurant, a couple’s massage and two nights in one of the most romantic suites, with large shower and whirlpools.
The Marco Island Marriot Beach Resort in Marco Island, Florida has the “Fertile Turtle” package which includes a room with a king size bed and private balcony. It offers guests raspberry and red clover tea, which are known to improve fertility. Also, it includes a massage treatment with chaste berry, which is known to boost chances of conception by stimulating the pituitary gland.
The Short Hills Hilton in New Jersey offers a “Blissful in Bed” package that includes unlimited film rentals, a later checkout and a candlelit bath. The “Naughty Nights” package includes an in-room massage and room service of oysters and champagne.
While many of these conceptionmoon vacation packages have been popular, some couples have been embarrassed to book them. Instead, they have opted for the more traditional “romantic getaway” packages.
Whether you go for a conceptionmoon package or just a romantic getaway somewhere with your sweetheart, getting away for some quality time together can be a great way to increase your odds of conceiving. Forget about your stress for a while and just relax and enjoy each other’s company!