When you are trying to conceive a baby, monitoring your fertility is very important. You have a window of time in your monthly cycle when you ovulate which is the best time to try to conceive.
However, it’s hard to know when this time comes around. There are not many easy to perceive signs that you are ovulating, it is a silent change that happens within the body. So, when it comes to figuring out when the best time is to have sex in order to increase your chances of conceiving, how do you keep track of your cycle?
One of the best ways to monitor your fertility is to use a fertility monitoring kit. They are available at your local pharmacy and there are many different types. They are designed to measure the hormones within your body as well as other important information so that you can figure out whether or not your reproductive system is likely to be currently releasing eggs.
Some of the kits will measure the hormones in your urine, others will use your saliva. None of them will be able to tell you with scientific certainty exactly when you are ovulating, but they will give you the best possible indication. Many women use them for the opposite reason – for birth control – because they will be able to avoid sex or use a condom on their fertile days and then have unprotected sex on their infertile days.
For example, the urine measuring tests will take a look at the hormones present in your urine – specifically luteinizing hormone – which will increase 24-48 hours prior to ovulation. This surge in this particular hormone is what triggers ovulation. So, when taken correctly an ovulation test is usually 99% accurate when it comes to detecting the LH surge that precedes ovulation. However, does not confirm that ovulation will actually occur, as some women will have a surge in the hormone without releasing an egg. Also, some women can experience false peaks of the luteinizing hormone before it actually peaks, which can be misleading.
You might not be sure when you should start using an ovulation test, especially if you have an irregular cycle. These tests sometimes only come with enough tests to cover a week or so, which might not be enough for the window during when you might ovulate. Considering this, you will want to wait until you notice the type of clear, stretchy cervical mucus discharge before you start testing.
For best results it is recommended that you reduce your liquid intake for four hours before the test and test around the same time every day. Remember that these tests require you to take your readings every day, so if you miss a reading or two they will be inaccurate. Also, it will take them a while to get used to your own unique cycle, so only after two months or so will they be producing readings that are highly accurate and unique to you.
Popular Options for Fertility Monitoring Kits
So which type of fertility monitoring kit should you be using when you are trying to conceive? There are quite a few different types of fertility monitoring kits on the market. Let’s take a look at a few of the popular options and see what they have to offer. Choosing the right fertility monitor for your needs will mean taking a few different factors into consideration, such as the method of testing, your lifestyle, your budget and your personal cycle.
We’ll feature a selection of the most commonly purchased fertility monitoring kits and look at their pros and cons, so that you can select the best option for your trying to conceive needs.
Clearblue Fertility Monitor
This is a urine test with a unique Color Change Tip feature that turns pink when the urine is absorbed, which lets you know that the test is working. It also features an easy to use touch screen monitor and it will store up to 6 cycles of your personal data which can be shared with your doctor.
- The instructions are easy to understand and the product is simple to use.
- The device is well built and durable.
- The monitor has a light that will flash on test days, which is helpful as a visual reminder of when you need to test.
- On the test days you have a 6 hour window during which to perform the test, which you can choose. This allows for more flexibility than using the basal body temperature, which needs to be taken at the same time every day.
- Many of the online reviews state that Clearblue is not as good at detecting hormones as some other brands, so if you have low hormone levels this might not work well for you.
- Also, some women with very short cycles or very long cycles found that the monitor wasn’t able to pick up their cycle. It works for detecting cycle lengths of 21-42 days.
- The monitor is expensive and so are the test sticks, so you might want to try the cheaper options first before making the investment.
- Also, it only gives low, high and peak readings but not the actual numerical concentration of estrogen and LH.
OvaCue Fertility Monitor
This monitor has a oral sensor and a vaginal sensor, making it very comprehensive in collecting ovulation data. It also tracks and stores your data in your own ovulation calendar. It claims to be able to predict your ovulation up to seven days in advance and even pinpoint your ovulation day. It is quite expensive, but many reviewers say that the extra price was worth it as this tool was very effective in helping them to become pregnant.
- The monitor comes with free and unlimited access to OvaGraph.com, which is a full-featured fertility charting tool that will allow you to graph, store and print your OvaCue readings.
- Many reviews state that the company has excellent customer service – they ship promptly and keep you regularly updated. If you have a problem, you can contact them and they will help to resolve it.
- Taking vaginal and saliva samples is much less messy than taking urine samples.
- This test is less sensitive to tiny changes in your sleep or your schedule, so it is easier to use than some other fertility monitoring options.
- The price point is quite high, so if you are on a small budget this might be out of your price range.
- The data input system is quite complex and it takes a while to get the hang of it.
- It doesn’t allow you to manually set the exact cycle day of a given calendar date, which can be frustrating when it comes to inputting the data.
Cyclotest Baby Fertility Monitor
This monitor will predict your ovulation with a very simple daily temperature reading. Also, it has a USB connection that will allow you to download and print your cycle data. It is the only Sympo-Thermal fertility computer available in the EU and it is a great way to get pregnant more quickly. You can simply take your temperature under the tongue every morning and the device will chart the information and tell you when you will be ovulating that month.
- Unlike other fertility monitors that require you to buy additional test strips which adds to the cost of the product, the Cyclotest baby fertility monitor is a one time purchase.
- It is much more affordable than other fertility monitors and it performs the same function.
- It also has an extra feature that allows you to enter whether you have spotted the stretchy cervical mucus that indicates you are fertile.
- It has a wide LCD screen that will allow you to see your entire cycle at a glance, including your fertile and highly fertile days.
- It works slightly differently than other fertility monitors which might be confusing at first. However, once you learn it, it’s not complicated.
- When you change the battery on the device you will need to update the software and re-calibrate the thermometer, as a thermometer will never keep it’s original calibration.
Lady Comp Fertility Monitor
Developed in Germany, the Lady Comp fertility monitor has been very popular for both women who are trying to conceive and women who are using it as birth control. It is a 100% natural method for either with no side effects, no drugs, no follow up costs and no test sticks.All you need to go is press one button per day and take your temperature orally with the thermal sensor – which only takes around 30 seconds.
- It is a one time purchase without any recurring costs, so it can be less expensive over the long term than other options.
- The electronic storage within the system means that you will not need to record your basal temperatures manually.
- The battery is rechargeable so you won’t need to buy new batteries.
- The device is portable so that you can take it with you if you go on holiday.
- The device will predict your ovulation as well as the start of your menstrual cycle.
- It is one of the more expensive options so if you are on a budget it might be difficult to afford it.
- The device will take a few months to regulate itself to your personal cycle, during which time it is not as accurate.
- You have to take your temperature reading every day, before getting out of bed, going to the bathroom or any other activity. If you do anything else it might affect you body temperature and make your reading inaccurate.
- Because it works by measuring your temperature, having a fever or drinking heavily can throw off the temperature reading.
Daysy Fertility Monitor
The Daysy fertility monitor is designed to synchronize with an iPhone app that is called DaysyView. When it takes your measurements it will display your fertile and non-fertile days quickly and clearly on the app right from the start. It is compatible with both Android and iOS. Plus, it’s cute design appeals to many users and it is simple to use.
- The method of testing is very easy – all you need to do is measure your temperature under your tongue when you wake up.
- There are no test strips, so there is no extra cost beyond the initial cost of the device.
- You can synchronise your cycle data with your iPhone so that you can view your fertile days quickly and easily. The app is easy to understand and uses a color coding system to let you know which days you are fertile and which ones you are not.
- When it is used correctly, the device is very accurate.
- Because it measures your temperature, cold, fevers and heavy drinking will affect the accuracy of the readings.
- It will only be accurate if you remember to take your temperature every morning, so this is not for you if you are forgetful or if you have an irregular sleep schedule.
- It is one of the more expensive options and the cost might be prohibitive for couples who are on a budget.
These are just a few of the options out there for fertility monitors to measure your fertility levels. There are many more options out there, so it is worth taking the time to look around and see if there are any other types of fertility monitor that might work better for your needs.
When it comes to conceiving a baby, knowing when your fertile days are can really help you figure out when the best time to try to conceive will be. These devices allow you to take measurements so that you can monitor your body closely and understand when you are likely to be ovulating. Each one is different and offers it’s own pros and cons, so take the time to look through the options and choose the device that is best suited to your needs. Best of luck!
Leave a Reply